Safe Communities MedDrop Program
MedDrop - The Best Place to Get Rid of Medicines
Leftover and expired prescriptions and over-the-counter medicines can be found in every household in the county. Last year unintentional poisonings killed more Dane County residents than automobile crashes. Misuse or abuse of prescription, over-the-counter or illicit drugs are the major cause. Pain medication when misused, can be especially fatal.
Medicine Safety: It's Up to You! Always Handle Medications Wisely
- Use medication exactly as prescribed.
- Store medicines away from family and friends.
- Get rid of expired and leftover medicine.
- Do not flush medicine! Take unwanted medicine to a MedDrop box.
Every Dane County Resident is Just Minutes from a MedDrop Box
Ten MedDrop box locations are open year-round and available for you to get rid of your unwanted medicines. During the Safe Communities Drug Poisoning Summit, the expansion from 6 to 10 MedDrop box locations as a key strategy to reduce access to drugs.
Cambridge Police Department
200 South Spring Street, Cambridge WI (view map)
Call (608) 423-4328 for hours of operation
Deerfield Police Department
7 West Deerfield Street, Deerfield, WI (view map)
Call (608) 764-5626 for hours of operation
Fitchburg Police Department
5520 Lacy Road, Fitchburg, WI (view map)
Available 7:30 am-4:30 pm Monday-Friday
Madison Police East District
809 South Thompson Drive, Madison, WI (view map)
Available 8am-4pm Monday-Friday
Madison Police West District
1710 McKenna Boulevard, Madison, WI (view map)
Available 8am-4pm Monday-Friday
Madison, University of Wisconsin Police Department
1429 Monroe St, Madison, WI (view map)
Call (608)264-2677 for hours of operation
Mazomanie Police Department
133 Crescent Street, Mazomanie, WI (view map)
Call (608) 767-2762 for hours of operation
McFarland Police Department
5915 Milwaukee Street, McFarland, WI (view map)
Available 8am-9pm Monday-Friday
Middleton Police Department
7341 Donna Drive, Middleton, WI (view map)
(608) 824-7300 – available 24 hours in the lobby
Oregon Police Department
383 Park St. Oregon, WI 53575 (view map)
Contact for Hours (608) 835-3111
Sun Prairie Police Department
300 E. Main Street, Sun Prairie, WI (view map)
Available 24 hours in the lobby
Waunakee Police Department
205 N. Klein Drive, Waunakee, WI (view map)
(608) 849 4523
Available 8am-6pm Monday-Friday
How to Use MedDrop
- To dispose of medications in the MedDrop drop boxes, please bring your unused or expired medication and a Ziploc or other resealable bag to the MedDrop police department.
- Empty contents of pill bottles into a zip lock bag and recycle your pill bottles.
- Leave liquids, gels or creams in their original containers and place them in a Ziploc bag as well.
- Put sealed Ziploc bags into the MedDrop box.
- List of items you can and can't dispose of at MedDrop drop boxes is listed above on the right.
Benefits of Using MedDrop
People want to get unused medicines out of the house because unwanted drugs may unintentionally be consumed by children and others. Medications can also be scavenged from trash and sold illegally.
Improper disposal of medicines can contaminate area rivers, lakes and streams. Medicines collected at the MedDrop locations are incinerated and disposed of in the most environmentally safe method currently available.
What You Can Get Rid of at MedDrop
- Prescription Medicine (pills, liquids and creams)
- Over-the-Counter Medicine (pills, liquids and creams)
- Medications for Pets
- Medication Samples
- Nebulizer Solution
*Illegal drugs cannot be disposed of in the drop box. However, you may bring illegal drugs to the police station and turn them over to authorities, no questions asked.
Do Not Bring
- IV Bags
- Oxygen Tanks
- Nebulizer Machines
- Sharps, Epi-pens or anything with a needle or lancet
MedDrop is made possible thanks to generous financial support of:
- Dane County
- Dane County Narcotics Task Force
- Dean Health Systems
- Meriter Health Services
- Safe Care Wisconsin/MetaStar
- St. Mary's Hospital
- UW Health
- City of Fitchburg
- City of Madison
- City of Middleton
- City of Sun Prairie
- Village of Cambridge
- Village of Deerfield
- Village of Mazomanie
- Village of McFarland
- Village of Waunakee
Thanks also to the work of MedDrop partners:
- Clean Sweep
- Dane County Narcotics and Gang Task Force
- Dane County Sheriff's Office
- Dane County Public Works, Highways & Transportation
- Dean/St. Mary's Hospital
- Fitchburg Police Department
- Fitchburg Solid Waste and Recycling Program
- Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District
- Madison Police Department
- Madison Engineering Division, Department of Public Works
- Madison Recycling Program
- McFarland Police Department
- Middleton Police Department
- Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin Pharmacies in the Dane County Area
- Public Health – Madison and Dane County
- Sun Prairie Police Department
- Sun Prairie Public Works Department
- Waunakee Police Department
- Wisconsin Society of Pharmacy Students